Monday 24 September 2007

Tree leaf identification starting out

When I first considered tree leaf identification as a means to working out, what I was looking at, I was a little sceptical and unsure how I would get on.

I had heard of the terms palmate, obviate, alternate etc, which all sounded like a foreign language and something I would never get to grips with.

To start out, I found it easiest, to use trees I knew, or was able to identify through people I knew and then compare the leaf to the guide. Reading the description and ensuring I understood what they were describing and how it related to what I had in front of me.

Relatively quickly, this foreign language began to make sense and I was able, with confidence, to read a leaf description and relate to what I was looking at, making for more precise and accurate identification than I had done previously.

In almost no time, I too was able to describe a leaf, using the correct terminology, referencing trees and helping friends.

Tree leaf identification, is not contrary to popular conception, something you can only do in the Summer months, it is a year round opportunity. The different coloration of leaves at different times of the year, provide clues as to the plant being looked at and can distinguish similar looking leaves at different times of the year.




Even if you are not particularly interested in identifying to specific level every, or even any trees, by actually knowing what you are looking at, the countryside, or town becomes a more meaningful place.

If you know a little about the trees themselves, their growing patterns, preferred conditions, when looking at a photograph you can gain a far greater impression of what you are looking at. An understanding of the topography and geography of the area in question.


Tree leaf identification, needn't be an obsession, it is a highly valuable education.

For a beginners guide to tree leaf identification, I recommend starting here

No comments: